The medical locum industry in the UK has rapidly expanded over the last 10 years where over 50% of the UK’s medical professional workforce have carried out Locum work either within a NHS setting or private practice*.
Do Locums need Medical Indemnity?
This depends largely on who you are carrying out Locum work for. For example, if you’re working as a locum for an NHS trust, indemnity will be provided under the Crown Indemnity scheme.
However, if you are working as a Locum for a private healthcare clinic or hospital, you will need to arrange adequate and appropriate insurance or indemnity for any work you do for that organisation. This is sometimes purchased from traditional Medical Defence Organisations at a significant cost and limitations (number of hours you can work, Out of Hours limitations)
At Servca, we create bespoke contracted defence insurance to cover you for any Private Practice, Locum and Out of Hours work, including Medico Legal & Administrative cover – offering you a complete piece of mind with a single monthly premium.
- Indemnity up to £50m for individuals or whole practices
- Global coverage, including USA
- Employment T&Cs of Service
- Advice on Employment grievance procedures
- Employment advice and representation in the employer disciplinary and capability process
- GMC hearings
- Tribunal support
- Professional Disciplinary Defence
- Defence against patient complaints
- Representation for trainees in ARCP appeals and in
- Legal Advice & Representative with ServCare Medical Union.
- Run Off & Extended Reporting Periods up to 20 years
*Figures from Keynote Research UK National Health Service Outsourcing 2017